Braid Growth Skill: Power Dress for Negotiation
Lindsey Shores shared her golden styling wisdom with us last night and we learned so much. A few notes below of what you missed:
Clothes can empower you to feel confident enough to achieve your goals.
- Why does style matter?
- Your clothes affect your behavior. Powerful example here.
- Your clothes are important to creating a good first impression
- Your clothes should express who you are
- Write down 3-5 traits that you want your look to express
- Evaluate your closet by asking yourself if each piece expresses one of those traits
Define your style:
- Narrow down what style you like
- Are you into preppy, edgy, classic, etc.?
- Look for inspiration in the world around you (e.g., magazines, Pinterest, Instagram, stores, art)
- Create a mood board of pieces that empower you to look more like you and the person you want to be
- Follow the guidelines in the Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up when evaluating your closet to make room for pieces that you absolutely love
- If a piece makes you want to say “HECK YES,” then wear it!
Dress for your audience:
- In corporate/business settings:
- Skirt + Blouse + Heels (make you feel awesome, but only if they’re comfortable!)
- Closed toe shoes are always more professional (you can’t lose with a classic black pointy toe pump)
- Keep skirt length just a little bit above the knee to a mid calf, not above or below
- Accessorize with fun socks, a colorful tie, a quirky belt, or pocket square (but not all at once )
- A blazer, sports coat, or jacket will add professional impact
On affordable but interesting style:
- Set up a clothing exchange with your friends
- Thrift shop
- Shop off-season
- Online shop for an easier time hunting down deals
- Don’t over accessorize
- If you are asking yourself if your look is too loud, it probably is
- Dress to be the boss you want to be
- Don’t be afraid to take it up a notch in style
- Steam, iron, dry clean, & polish
- These steps can add new life to a piece, Lindsey recommends this steamer.
- EMBRACE YOU
- Love yourself
- Stop self-criticizing
- If stopping doesn’t work, change what you don’t like!
Lindsey’s Recommended Shopping Stops:
H + M